The Flatlander untangles complex issues impacting Saskatchewan and Manitoba. It tells the stories of Prairie people and explores the communities and land we call home.
The Flatlander welcomes pitches for stories up to 2,000 words, as well as proposals for short videos and photo essays.
What we look for in a pitch
Topics we’re interested in covering include the arts, culture, politics, the environment, health, technology, agriculture, education, history and all things important to people living in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
The Flatlander is also a celebration of what makes the Prairies unique, so we’re also interested in articles about local travel destinations, landmarks, food and people.
In your pitch, please include one paragraph about your journalism experience and include at least two pieces of previously published work.
Also, we look for pitches to answer the following questions:
- How will your story help readers make sense of an issue, and how will it advance a constructive conversation on the topic?
- Has this story been overlooked by other media outlets, and if not, how will your story be different?
If your pitch is accepted, you must provide sources for all statistics, studies, etc. and contact information for all interview subjects for factchecking purposes.
The Flatlander pays 50 cents per word.
Please send pitches to [email protected]
Please review the Canadian Association of Journalists Ethics guidelines before pitching.
Freelance photography rates
The Flatlander offers freelance photographers a base rate of $250 for a half day (up to 4 hours) and $500 for a full day.
For large or multi-day projects, or projects submitted on spec, we will arrange a project fee as appropriate.
Opinion submission guidelines
The Flatlander publishes opinion pieces that are original and well written.
- Limit your submission to a maximum of 1,200 words.
- Expect edits. If your submission is accepted, the editor will work with you to improve a piece of writing for brevity, accuracy, and clarity.
- Consider what matters to readers and what could help them better understand the Prairies.
- Include hyperlinked sources for fact-based claims made in your piece. Like our readers, we want to know where you’re getting your information.
The Flatlander only accepts opinion submissions on spec. We do not pay for opinion submissions.
Please email your submission to [email protected] and include a short author bio and headshot.